Having trouble fitting into your favorite pair of skinny jeans? Perform this legs and butt workout once or twice a week and you’ll be able to fit back into them in no time.
Starting with the first exercise, slowly complete five reps (it should take about 10 seconds per rep: five up, five down). Continue until you’ve done every exercise.
Do two to four total circuits, switching sides (when necessary) every other set. Increase the challenge by adding a resistance band loop around your ankles or thighs for each move.
1. Chair Pose
- Stand with your legs together, and soften your knees. Reach your arms overhead, and touch your palms together as you fold your chest down toward your knees.
- Hold this position as you drop your tailbone down in a small pulsing motion 10 to 15 times.
Keep your legs squeezed together for support.
- Then cross your left elbow over your right thigh, and hold here for five to 10 seconds. Rise up back to center, and repeat on the left side.
2. Side Squat To Curtsy Lunge
- Holding a 10-pound dumbbell at your chest, step your left leg wide to the left coming into a lateral lunge, bending your left knee. Keep your chest lifted and your weight in your left heel.
- Push off with your left foot, and cross the left leg behind your right coming into a curtsy, bending both knees. This completes one rep.
- Step out to the left returning to your side lunge; continue alternating between these two moves for a total of 10 reps. On the last rep hold the curtsy and pulse up and down in a one-inch range 10 times to work the glutes even more. Then repeat on the other side.
3. Side Kicks
- Start on all fours with hands underneath your shoulders and knees under your hips. Keeping the knee bent 90 degrees, lift the right leg until it is parallel to the floor.
- Keep the right thigh still as you straighten your right knee, kicking your leg out to the side. Don’t let the leg lower as you kick it.
- Bend the right knee back to 90 degrees, then lower the leg. This completes one rep.
- Do three sets of 20 reps per side.
4. Jump Squats
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Start by doing a regular squat, then engage your core and jump up explosively.
- When you land, lower your body back into the squat position to complete one rep. Land as quietly as possible, which requires control.
- Do two to three sets of 10 reps.
5. Plié Squat Jumps
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and slightly turned out, arms resting on your hips.
- Bend your knees and plié, then jump up explosively. Keep your core engaged.
- Land with control, lowering your body back into the squat position to complete one rep.
- Do 15 reps.
6. Fire Hydrants
- Start on all fours with a flat back, and keep the abs pulled in tight (belly button to spine).
- Lift left knee up and out until it is the same level as your hip, keeping knee bent and foot flexed.
- Lower to start position. That’s one rep. Perform this move for 30 seconds on each leg.
7. Donkey Kicks
- Start on all fours with your hands directly under your shoulders and your knees directly under your hips.
- Keep your right knee at a 90-degree angle as you slowly raise your leg behind you until your thigh is almost parallel to the floor. Pulse your flexed foot toward the ceiling by squeezing your glutes.
- Your back should remain perfectly still in a neutral spine. The motion should be small and controlled with the muscle, not momentum, doing the work.
- Return to start position to complete one rep. Do 20 on each side, two to three times.